Monday, September 28- THE DAY

I don't have a lot of time to write, but I wanted to let you know some brief details about our day!
When we arrived at the Thomas Center, all the children were waiting out front- holding beautiful roses for their new mommies and daddies. Zavion was the only one not standing- he was being held safely in one of his caregiver's arms. She handed him to me, and suffice it to say he was not a big fan. He spent a good 15 minutes crying and fighting to get out of my arms. We tried Mark too- that didn't work either. We went up to his room and saw his bed, and then were wisked away to our agency's office to continue spending time with our kiddos and finish our paperwork. Mark headed downstairs to work on paperwork with the other dads and the moms stayed in a room with the kiddos. There were 4 families with a total of 6 kids. The kids were all doing wonderfully- save for Zavion. He wasn't crying anymore, but her certainly wasn't comfortable. He stayed in my lap, and finally ventured down for a few minutes to play with a balloon. He played for a couple minutes, and seemed very intrigued with the other kids playing... but still no smiles. He started to whimper a bit, so I pulled him into my lap and tried to play a little game with him. After a couple minutes, he looked up at me, wrapped his arms around my neck and laid his head down on my chest. That's when the tears (for me) finally started to flow. A few minutes later he stuck his middle two fingers in his mouth, closed his eyes, and passed out. He slept for 2 hours. When he awoke, he was still uncertain- but definitely was ready not to let me go.
The rest of the day progressed beautifully. He is slowly started coming out of his shell. We actually were treated with a few smiles late tonight. He ate well at dinner, though he refuses a sippy cup, a regular cup, and will only drink from a water bottle :). He hated his bath, took his medicine like a champ, and played well after bath. Shortly after 7:30 he nuzzled up next to me and stuck his middle fingers back in his mouth. I took him up to our room, snuggled a few minutes, and laid him down in his bed awake. He kept sucking those fingers and was quiet, so I took my chances and snuck out. He was asleep in 2 minutes, no joke.
It was a blessed day. One of my favorite parts of the day was watching the other families we are blessed to be here with enjoying tehir new families for the first time too. The other kids are awesome- right now in our guest home we have a 20 month old, a 2 year old, a 6 year old, a seven year old, an eight year old and a ten year old. They are beautiful, their parents are beautiful and the siblings that traveled here are beautiful. What an overwhelming day.


Jodi Durr said...

It's so nice to be creating pictures of your experience as it's happening. I'm so glad you have computer access because I want all the details. So happy for you!

Erin said...

Happy Gotcha Day!!!